Home » European University » European University : Working while you Study at an Accredited European University


European University : Working while you Study at an Accredited European University


If you are an EU citizen planning to study in another EU country, you do not face any restrictions in regards to part-time or full-time work. You enjoy the same rights as nationals of the country of study and do not need a work permit. There are, however, some exceptions. If you are Croatian, Romanian or Bulgarian, you will need to bear some temporary work restrictions in mind.

Number of working hours

The number of working hours allowed is decided by the country of study, and not by the accredited european university. In this regard, there is no standard number – some countries may allow you to work for any number of hours per week while others may impose an upper limit on the number of hours you work in a year or over a term.


As an employee in the country of study, you are required to pay taxes and make social security contributions from your income. This is because you become a tax resident of the country if you have resided there for more than 183 days.

You may be subject to double taxation if you take up employment in your home country, such as summer jobs. However, many EU countries have agreements in place to avoid double taxation, and help you identify the country you should be paying taxes to.

Work restrictions for international students

Like their EU counterparts, international students are also eager to take up work for extra financial support and experience. This is predominantly seen in top-rated accredited universities with a heavy influx of international students who tend to join engineering, medical or management programs. International students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week, inclusive of voluntary work.

Comments are closed

Sorry, but you cannot leave a comment for this post.